Friday 16 December 2016

Bangkok Day 1

So, that’s two days in Bangkok done. It’s a fascinating place, full of discovery. It’s also insanely busy, far too busy for me. There is literally people everywhere, at all times of the day. Oh, and the roads, the roads are madness. Drivers are millimetre accurate, moving between lanes whilst avoiding the mopeds and motorbikes. Don’t forget the TukTuks weaving in and out as well!

Talking about TukTuks, they are incredibly great fun, so much fun I decided to share my joy of them on Facebook, to which one reply mentioned how dodgy they are, and a con. So, let me share our first involvement with a TukTuk.

We were walking towards Chinatown, blindly following Google Maps like a proper tourist. When we remembered what one of our goals was for the day, to get some new and more suitable cloths for us both. So, we stopped by the side of the road, and I started to google the nearest shopping centre. We were stood in front of a closed shop/house, when some old guy comes up to us, with what seemed good intentions, asking us if he could help. He was an old guy, wearing uniform style trousers. We told him that we were looking for a shopping centre, to which he started reaming of options for us. During this whole time, he was repeatedly touching my arm nearest to him, which on reflection, was rather odd. The talk continues for a bit longer, he makes recommendations about night markets, and continues to point to locations on my phone. He then randomly turns his attention to me, and my apparent need for a suit... because apparently, I sometimes have to wear suits.

I repeatedly tell him that I have no need for a suit, not on this trip and very rarely back at home, this went on deaf ears. He then shows me his work badge, and he explains how he works for the government tourist board, and knows all the best places to get a suit. Also informing me that at the moment, due to the kings death, there is no tax on suits and I can save a fortune! I give in to the suit talk and say, yes sure, perhaps I need a suit. Or perhaps I’ll just go take a look like you do. His face filled with delight and he tells us to go to Royal Boss Tailors. He then changes to explaining TukTuks to us, as apparently, that would be the quickest way to get there and get this all-important suit. How we should only use the blue ones, as their government ones and you should never pay more than 40 baht a journey. Then BOOM! Just like that, he has flagged us down a TukTuk, and told him to take us to Royal Boss and then on to the MK Mall. We are now on a TukTuk, rather be-dazzled on our way to get a suit! That I don’t even bloody want.

At this point, rather enjoying the TukTuk, I shout to the driver to go straight to the mall, I don’t want to go to the tailors. He is insistent we take a look, repeatedly telling me they are very cheaper and good. I remain insistent on going straight to the mall, but to no joy. He says “just have a look, as I need to refill the gas”. So, we get to this tailors, which was all rather awkward! Three guys trying to sell me suits, repeatedly informing me of the price and quality, and even the fact that they would send it to the UK to me. I’ve had enough at this point and tell them no, and start to leave. On the way out, he changes from suits to shirts, to which Sarah says “Oh, a shirt might be good!”, hell no I snappily respond, and finally we are out! TukTuk driver is still waiting and finally takes us to the MK Mall.



Now I encourage you to read the link that was sent to us on Facebook after my TukTuk comment.

The MK Mall is a shopper’s mecca. Eight floors full of independent stores, brand stores and market style stalls. If you’re in to novelty t-shirts, this is the place to go. We weren’t able to get all we needed here, but did get some nice stuff, but we decided to head to another mall over the road, which had more branded shops in it, for a few other specific things.

On route to this mall, we had to pass through another mall. The first mall, was the other end of the scale from MK Mall, it was full of designer brands. The mall we were heading for, was more like the Trafford centre in the UK. But I can relate that short journey, from one mall to another, passing through another mall, to an analogy of Bangkok. Bangkok is vast, but as with most of the cities on this scale I’ve been to, skyscrapers next to run down streets. But throughout those streets and the malls, everyone I saw in Bangkok seems very content with life, at all ends of the scale. People are social and joyful.


We ended the mall trip with some squid! What an odd blog angle change Richard. Indeed. But for those who have dined with me, I love squid, even joked about building a squid rating app. Well, as we were strolling through the food area of the mall, I spot a squid stand, but not just any squid stand, this one sold a whole deep friend crispy squid, a whole squid!!! I wimped out on the whole squid, but I did get some tentacles, was good squid, but not great, a steady 6/10. Sarah however, ordered these weird baby octopus pancake things, they didn’t go down well, judge for yourself. This reminds me though, this is normal for Sarah, she is sometimes very unfortunate with food, but she is also brave and willing to try things which I admire. She has been unfortunate so many times that she has started a hashtag on Instagram #SarahJaneEats.



So day one done, I skipped the flying here part, not much happened apart from me fainting and my face turning white and my lips blue. It's all good now though, so we'll brush over that.